Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Summer class conundrum

I am not sure if I should take a class or two during the summer session. Some of the benefits are clear, such as the fact that it won't be as much of a crunch to get all 72 credits in within the two-year program. Maximizing my veteran's benefits is a bit more convoluted since it would behoove me to take a few classes to do that however it is not entirely clear how much it would cost me in the short run. It's a little tough to make financial aid decisions when I can't forecast what my bill for the summer session would be.

The first strike against taking summer courses is the lack of interesting offerings available. In my own department there are only a few classes, and only two of them are remotely interesting. One is about Shrinking Cities, so the focus would likely be on Detroit, and the other is Real Estate Development. Neither topic is particularly relevant towards my interests. Under Civil Engineering I could take a class about Air Transportation which is a bit more in tune with what I get excited about.

The downer with any of those classes is that it would severely restrict the amount of time I have available to intern. This may not be a problem if I am only interning with the City of Bend. The scenario of my only internship being 160 miles away is not ideal and I am hopeful about finding one around here that's with an agency I'd actually like to work at. Thus far it's been pretty small towns, or else non-profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment