Saturday, June 4, 2011

Angling for a Summer Internship

Finally, as the past few days it's actually felt like the month of June and the cusp of summer. Yesterday was the first day I donned shorts for a non-athletic activity; in Connecticut and especially in Virginia shorts weather came a lot sooner. Today it hit about 85, which felt rather sweltering, but in a welcome way given how I have been used to it being in the 50's. I think that I would be quite happy if the mercury never rose above 85 because other than water sports in cold water, it's just not necessary.

Competition can be a very good thing. It forces people, groups, companies to put forth their very best effort. Competition however can make things awkward around friends or acquaintances. For instance, talking with my fellow MURPs that are also trying to find a much coveted summer internship has been difficult. On one hand we work with one another on these incessant group projects, but now those of us without a summer internship lined up are all vying for the few remaining open positions. I had a conversation with Jake where he mentioned that he's applying for the unpaid Washington County position and then today Sarah brought up the paid Metro corridor planning position. I sort of have an in with Washington County since I had an informational interview with them in April and feel good about the fact that it's not likely that many members of my Portland-centric cohort will want to wander beyond the city limits. As for the Metro position, I will have two informational interview in the can and they actually do have a veteran's preference. That being said, there is going to be a lot of interest in the two slots that they have and I would especially have had a rough go of it had not so many people already committed to the summer in China program.

I have realized that these two official internships, and potentially hearing back from DEA most likely represent my last gasp at landing a Portland area internship for the summer. I emailed Scott Richman at DEA my updated references page since had asked for them in our informational interview and because he said something *might* come open. Despite the various things working against me, namely my colleagues that will no doubt be putting together excellent application packages, I must feel reasonably confident to entertain the worry that Washington County will interview me and offer me the position before I know if I have a chance with Metro or not as their due date isn't until June 14. I have been thankful that Brian with the City of Bend hasn't asked yet when I want to start so that I can buy time to find out how much time I can give to them. At the very least if he did ask me, I could slow walk it since there's no law stating that I need to start immediately upon the Spring quarter ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment