Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fall term results pending

Thanks to the power of posting assignment grades on Blackboard, I now know that I got an A- in Planning Methods I. I had not been keeping a running tally of my performance to date and had assumed that I would be on track for something lower. I am pleased with this grade, however I feel that it comes with an asterisk given that most of the grade came from group papers - papers where my portions tended to be the weakest and were subjected to heavy editing by my group members. Two of the group members, Joshua and Carlye, tended to take various facets of assignments onto themselves, and that coupled with my sections always being edited made me feel like less of an asset and more of a liability to the group. The impending winter term means new classes, and therefore new groups, and I look forward to a chance to see what working with other groups is like.

As for my Economics class, I ended up with a B, which was what I expected. I kept getting mid-range B's on my assignments, and knew that I didn't do all that well on the final exam, even considering that he was going to curve it. My raw score on the exam was a 77, and Greg curved it to a B+. The exam was tough, but not in the way that my exams were for my Urban Economics class at CCSU. On the note of that previous class, I have somewhat mixed feelings on whether or not I should have waived this course. On one hand, not very much of the lecture material was new to me, on another, I only got a B, and I did get a bit more experience working with U.S. Census data. I did like the professor, and would consider taking additional classes with him if they were more transportation related.

I do not know yet what I got in History & Theory of Planning. My graded coursework thus far has been a mix of B's and B+'s, and I can't imagine what is remaining will be much different.

This quarter was disappointing, so it was good that it was mercifully short compared to the semester system I just came out of. I have already gotten an email from my professor for Regional Planning about a trip we will take up to Seattle in a joint project on High Speed Rail with a class at the University of Washington.

As for next quarter's lineup, here it is right now:
USP 510 - Sustainable Transportation
USP 535 - Planning Methods II
USP 541 - Dynamics of Planning Practice
USP 549 - Regional Planning & Metropolitan Growth Management

Since I know some people taking Travel Demand Modeling, and the fact that it's a useful course to have in general, I am trying to get an override to get into that class. It's full right now and I have sent an email to the professor seeing if he will let me in. I don't know anything about it, so I stand to learn quite a bit. If I do get into that class, then Sustainable Transportation will get the axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment